If you have ever been around a smoldering match you are familiar with the smell of gaseous sulfur. But did you know sulfur can be used as a solid?
Sulfur is among the most important elements in the industrialized world. In fact, sulfur is so heavily relied upon in industrial processes, the extent of its use is considered a reliable measure of industrial activity and the health of the national economy.
About 90% of the sulfur used in the industrialized world goes to making sulfuric acid. But the remaining 10% is used in other forms, in many surprising applications. One such form is sublimed sulfur. Sublimed sulfur describes sulfuric gas skipping past its liquid phase–changing from a solid directly to a gaseous form. Sublimed sulfur is commonly used in powder form.
Here we will look at 4 uses of sublimed sulfur that might surprise you.
The modern skin care industry has brought us solutions for a wide array of skin maladies. But some remedies have stood the test of time. Sulfur is one of the oldest acne treatments available. Since sulfur came into use for acne treatment in 1949, a number of studies have proven its effectiveness. Sublimed sulfur shows up in some of the products available at high-end retailers.
What makes sulfur an outstanding acne treatment is its ability to cut through the skin’s natural oils. It also helps to remove dead skin cells that can block pores and cause breakouts.
Acne is caused by Propionibacterium acnes, a bacteria which lives deep in the pores. When this bacteria grows out of control, our skin can begin to form acne. Sulfur has antimicrobial properties that help prevent skin bacteria from growing uncontrolled.
Many people today are looking for more organic gardening methods. Sulfur is a perfect solution for organic gardeners. Fine dusting sulfur is used to control mites and folia fungi without the use of harsh chemicals. Interestingly, mites have largely grown resistant to chemical pesticides. Yet no such resistance exists to sulfur.
Powdered sulfur, a more coarse option, can be used to help gardeners create the right soil conditions for their plants. Powdered sulfur is sprinkled into the soil to make it slightly acidic. In fact, you can buy soil pre-fortified with sulfur.
Sulfur can also be used to keep your furry friend pest free. Washed sulfur, a type of powdered sulfur treated with ammonia, can be used to kill parasites. Sulfur kills fleas and ticks on contact. Products like flea dips and shampoos are available to treat pet infestation and make your best friend more comfortable.
Interestingly, this same principle can be used the next time you are about to head into the woods. Backpackers and hikers can dust sulfur powder on their boots and clothes to keep ticks and other insects at bay.
Surprisingly, the same property that makes sulfur useful in gardening and pet care lends itself to the treatment of the medical condition scabies. Scabies is a human itch mite infestation of the skin. It is most often found in nursing homes and prisons.
Likewise, sulfur’s ability to clear away dry skin cells, which aids in acne prevention, also helps in the treatment of seborrheic dermatitis. Seborrheic dermatitis is a condition that leaves red, scaly patches on the skin. It can also cause severe dandruff.
Of course, there are a variety of treatments available for both conditions. But ointments containing sublimed sulfur are often recommended to treat both scabies and seborrheic dermatitis.
Sublimed sulfur has many fascinating uses. But to use it most effectively, you need the right purity and granulation. Noah Technologies can help.
Noah Technologies is dedicated to providing clients with the purest chemicals. Buy sublimed sulfur directly from our massive online catalog. To speak with a qualified chemist about custom chemicals and bulk ordering contact us today!
BUY THESE CHEMICALS FROM NOAH TECHNOLOGIES
Noah Technologies is dedicated to providing clients the purest chemicals. Buy these chemicals directly from our massive online catalog. To speak with a qualified chemist about custom chemicals and bulk ordering contact us today!